Startup Error on new install

The place to discuss the Linux/Ubuntu edition
epement

Startup Error on new install

Post by epement »

Hi, Tim. I have just reclaimed an old laptop that was running intolerably slow under Windows 10, a Lenovo G580 with 4 GB RAM. It was so slow that it was impossible to work on it. After taking many hours to back up all relevant photos, audio, personal files, etc., I installed Linux Lite v6.4, reclaiming the entire hard disk. I have heard it recommended for older, under-powered hardware, so I thought I'd give it a try. Linux Lite is based on Ubuntu 22.02.2 software base and uses the XFCE desktop environment.

The startup worked without any visible errors. I notice that an icon shortcut for Bible Analyzer did not appear anywhere in my start menu, not even under "All Applications". If it weren't for my past experience with BA and knowing that I should look under /opt/bibleanalyzer/ to execute "ba-run.py", I would have been in trouble. The shortcut did start Bible Analyzer.

As soon as it started, I saw the attached error:
BA_startup_2023-08-02.jpg
BA_startup_2023-08-02.jpg (81 KiB) Viewed 13564 times
You see that it is looking for a variable called "editor", which does not exist. Unless I click the blue OK button, BA will not run. But I could not see the error message or the button, because the welcome screen was hiding it.

In a Linux environment, if the default editor should be vim or vi. I can see that this appears to be a JavaScript variable, not and environment variable. Can you look into these two issues? Thanks much for all you do.

One reminder: In Unix/Linux, the EDITOR variable, if it exists, will be in upper-case; environment variable names are case-sensitive; and there is no assurance that this particular variable ought to exist. The EDITOR or VISUAL variables can be defined to serve the console utilities more and less, but they are often undefined.
Eric Pement
2 Cor. 4:5

Tim
Site Admin

Re: Startup Error on new install

Post by Tim »

This is not a Python or linux error, it is a Javascript "warning." ScripturePad on v5.5 uses Javascript internally and the issue is sometimes, especially on slower sysyems (though it can happen on fast systems), a Python call is made to the editor component before Javascript is fully loaded. This usually happens when the call is made to show the date and quote inn ScripturePad on startup.

I have tried several work arounds to allievate the issue but they don't always work. Sometimes Javascript just loads slower than others depending on they system activity.

Unchecking Show Date and Quote at Startup in Preferences may help. Other than that, until I have more time to troubleshoot that all I know to try.
Tim Morton
Developer, Bible Analyzer

But to him that worketh not, but believeth on him that justifieth the ungodly, his faith is counted for righteousness. (Rom 4:5 AV)

epement

Re: Startup Error on new install

Post by epement »

Thanks, Tim. I will alter the Preferences section as you suggested and report back what I find. That was a good suggestion!
Eric Pement
2 Cor. 4:5